A colorless liquid with a sweet, chloroform-like odor.
In organic synthesis, in pharmaceuticals.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 22 36/37/38
S 26 36/37/39
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1.63 g/cm3 (8 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong bases, strong oxidizing agents, magnesium, zinc, and aluminum.
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen bromide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
Containers may explode when heated.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause nausea, dizziness, and headache.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
Harmful if inhaled. Causes respiratory tract irritation.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation. Causes redness and pain.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.