- 2-Methyl-1-propenyl chloride
- Isocrotyl chloride
Clear dark yellow to pale orange liquid.
In organic syntheses.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, irritant
R 11 36/37/38
S 9 16 29 33
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.9416 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
1.4212 (19 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
When working with this chemical, wear a NIOSH-approved full face chemical cartridge respirator equipped with the appropriate organic vapor cartridges. If that is not available, a half face respirator similarly equipped plus airtight goggles can be substituted. However, please note that half face respirators provide a substantially lower level of protection than do full face respirators.
If you spill this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION. Then, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Your contaminated clothing and absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with 60-70% ethanol followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents and strong bases.
When heated to decomposition temperature unspecified , dimethylvinyl chloride emits highly toxic fumes of hydrochloric acid and other chlorinated compounds. When heated to decomposition emits highly toxic fumes of hydrogen chloride.
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
This chemical is flammable.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
OEL-RUSSIA:STEL 0.3 mg/m3;Skin
I-2B, N-2, CP65
Very high concentrations are depressant in animals.
At high concentrations the vapors are irritating to the respiratory tract.
May cause irritation or burns.
CONJUNCTIVITIS - This chemical is moderately irritating to the eyes but is not expected to cause serious or permanent injury.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Volatile chemicals have a high risk of being aspirated into the victim's lungs during vomiting which increases the medical problems. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, ensure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.