- Dodecyl mercaptan
- Lauryl mercaptan
Colorless to pale yellow liquid, mild skunk odor.
In manufacture of synthetic rubber, plastics, pharmaceuticals, insecticides, fungicides.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 36/38 43
S 26 36
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
3300 ppm at 25 C (calc.)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, strong bases, alkali metals.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. To extinguish fire, use water fog, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or regular foam.
Slightly flammable. Combustion requires preheating.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Poisonous and irritating gases (e.g., sulfur dioxide) are generated in fires.
NIOSH REL: C 0.5 ppm (4.1 mg/m3) 15-minute
Repeated exposure may cause sensitization dermatitis.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Causes skin irritation. May cause dermatitis. May cause reddening of the skin. Chronic exposure may result in sensitization.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2930 90 70