- Hexadecyl mercaptan
- Cetyl mercaptan
Colorless liquid, strong odor.
Used as a polymerization conditioner; intermediate in organic synthesis; used in tarnish-preventing agents.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
18 - 20
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0002 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.8556 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.4630 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong acids, strong bases, oxidizing agents, reducing agents, alkali metals.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Water may be ineffective. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion.
NIOSH REL: C 0.5 ppm (5.3 mg/m3) 15-minute
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May cause nausea and vomiting.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May cause nausea, dizziness, and headache.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
2930 90 70