- Naphthalene, 1-phenyl
Viscous, light yellow liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.08 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.6640 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Flammable/combustible material. May be ignited by friction, heat, sparks or flames.
During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.