- Acetylene tetrachloride
Clear, colorless liquid with a chloroform-like odor.
Nonflammable solvent for fats, oils, waxes, resins, cellulose acetate, copal, phosphorus, sulfur, rubber, solvent in certain types of friedel-crafts reactions, phthalic anhydride condensations, in manufacture of paints, varnish, rust removers, in soil sterilization and weed killer, insecticide formulations, in determination of theobromine in cacao, as immersion fluid in crystallography, in the biological laboratory to produce pathological changes in gi tract, liver & kidneys. Intermediate in manufacture of trichloroethylene & other chlorinated hydrocarbons having two carbon atoms.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Very toxic; Dangerous for the Environment
S 2 38 45
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
8 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0,65 (butyl acetate=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold less than 3 ppm
1.595 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
2.9 g/L (25 C)
1.46 cp (30 C)
34.4 g/s2 (30 C)
1.49419 (20 C)
1.31 D (25 C)
8.42 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Keep containers tightly closed. Do not expose to air. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Keep container tightly closed. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. Avoid mechanical shock and friction.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Wear impervious gloves. Wear an impervious apron. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin. Wear an impervious apron.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage. Unusual exposure to light in the presence of air may form small amounts of phosgene.
Reacts with chemically active metals, fuming sulfuric acid and strong caustics. Attacks most plastics and rubber.
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Substance is noncombustible.
Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Vapors may be heavier than air. They can spread along the ground and collect in low or confined areas.
Combustion generates toxic fumes. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion.
OSHA PEL: TWA 5 ppm (35 mg/m3) skin NIOSH REL: Ca TWA 1 ppm (7 mg/m3) skin See Appendix A See Appendix C (Chloroethanes) NIOSH IDLH: Potential occupational carcinogen 100 ppm
Chronic exposure can produce the same life threatening health effects noted for inhalation exposure above. Chronic exposure may also affect liver, gastrointestinal tract and blood-forming organs. Considered to be the most toxic of the common chlorinated hydrocarbons.
Highly toxic via ingestion. Symptoms parallel those from inhalation. Causes irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Highly toxic. Strong irritant of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Initial symptoms may include irritation of the nose and throat, salivation. Continued exposure may produce restlessness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and narcosis. Symptoms may progress to a more serious illness with jaundice, liver tenderness, lung edema, and possibly convulsions and coma before death.
Causes irritation to skin. Symptoms include redness, itching, and pain. May be absorbed through the skin with possible systemic effects.
Vapors cause eye irritation. Splashes cause severe irritation, possible corneal burns and eye damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.