Used in dichloropropane-dichloropropene mixture as a soil fumigant for control of nematodes affecting roots of plants.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1.1811 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.448 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Follow precautions for 1,3-dichloropropene: do not place or store 1,3-dichloropropene in containers made of aluminum, magnesium, or alloys of these metals. Handle as a flammable liquid. Store at in tightly closed containers in a cool place.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate clothing to prevent any reasonable probability of skin contact. Wear eye protection to prevent any possibility of eye contact.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Make no contact with the spilled material. Fully encapsulating, vapor protective clothing should be worn for spills and leaks with no fire. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and ground all equipment. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. Use clean non-sparking tools to collect absorbed material.
Container may explode in heat of fire and runoff to sewer may be a fire or explosion hazard. Dichloropropenes are a vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors, or in sewers.
Oxidizing agents, aluminum, halogens, metal salts.
Oxides of carbon, hydrogen chloride.
Use powders, halons, carbon dioxide. Keep tanks and drums cool by spraying water. NFPA recommendations for 1,3-dichloropropene-use water spray, dry chemical, foam, or carbon dioxide. Water spray may not extinguish the fire but can disperse vapors, protect workers, or flush spills. DOT recommendations for dichloropropene-for small fires, dry chemicals, carbon dioxide, or foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or foam. Move container from fire area if it can be done without risk. Keep water out of containers. Cool containers exposed to a fire with water from the side until well after fire is out, and withdraw immediately if a rising sound is heard from the venting safety device or if the tank discolors.
Expect that all dichloropropenes are as flammable as 1,3-dichloropropenes. 1,3-Dichloropropene is quite flammable. Ignitable under almost all normal conditions. Flashback may occur along vapor trail. Vapor in an enclosed area may ignite.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
When heated to decomposition it emits toxic hydrogen chloride or phosgene fumes.
May cause toxic effects.
Ards has been reported after ingestion. Animals exposed to 2700 ppm developed severe lung injury.
Necrosis and edema were present when the agent was confined to rabbit skin, but were much reduced when the product was allowed to evaporate.
Prompt washing decreased the degree of irritation. Nasal irritation also occurred at concentrations greater than 1000 ppm.
Administer charcoal as a slurry (240 ml water/30 g charcoal). Usual dose: 25 to 100 g in adults/adolescents. Monitor liver and kidney function. Elevations may not be seen for several days. Respiratory support may be indicated in significant exposures. Monitor for pulmonary edema. Hypotension: infuse 10 to 20 ml/kg isotonic fluid, place in trendelenburg position. If hypotension persists, administer dopamine (5 to 20 mcg/kg/min) or norepinephrine (0.1 To 0.2 Mcg/kg/min), titrate to desired response.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.