- Dithioethylene glycol
- s-Ethylene dimercaptan
Colorless liquid, unpleasant disagreeable odor.
Used as a metal chelating agent.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 10 23/24/25
S 23 36/37 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
146 - 149
Vapor pressure, mmHg
6.5 (25 C)
6317 ppm at 20 C (calc.)
Solubility in water
1.5545 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate safety goggles, protective clothing and gloves.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Bases - oxidizing agents - reducing agents - alkali metals.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus inpressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Nausea may occur with low concentration exposures.
Decreased respiratory rate was reported in 2 persons. Respiratory depression has occurred in animals following inhalation of high concentrations.
May irritate or burn. May cause toxic effects if absorbed through the skin.
Do NOT induce vomiting. Allow the victim to rinse his mouth and then to drink 2-4 cupfuls of water, and seek medical advice.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.
I; II; III
2930 90 70