Clear, colorless liquid with a moldy turpentine odor.
Solvent for camphor, sulfur & iodine, in paintermediate thinners, as paintermediate remover when mixed with decalin or white spirit, as insecticide for clothes moth, as substitute for turpentine & petrol in germany.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
May form explosive peroxides; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
R 19 36/38 51/53
S 26 28 61
Tumorigen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.37 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.3 g/m3 (20 C)
190 (diethyl ether = 1)
0.974 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
2.012 cp (25 C)
35.5 g/s2 (20 C)
1.54135 (20 C)
2.6 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Regularly check inhibitor levels to maintain peroxide levels below 1%. Do not break the seal on the container until it is needed. Label the container with the date it was first opened. Long-term storage is not recommended.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. If peroxide formation is suspected, do not open or move container. Avoid contact with air and sunlight. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Unused chemicals should not be returned to the container. Do not distill since this removes peroxide-inhibitors.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A half-face respirator with an organic vapor cartridge and particulate filter (NIOSH type P95 or R95 filter) may be worn for up to ten times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. A full-face piece respirator with an organic vapor cartridge and particulate filter (NIOSH P100 or R100 filter) may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit, or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. Please note that N series filters are not recommended for this material. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-face piece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Isolate area and deny entry. Place under an inert atmosphere.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. On long term storage, substances with similar functional groups form explosive peroxides. Explosive peroxides may form on concentration. Tends to form explosive peroxides; especially when anhydrous. Peroxide formation may occur in containers that have been opened and remain in storage.
Oxidizing agents, may form peroxides in air.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective.
Combustible liquid and vapor.
May form explosive peroxides.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
May cause cataract and kidney and liver damage. Chronic naphthalene exposure has led to cataract formation and may cause skin allergy.
May cause nausea, headache, vomiting and intragastric discomfort. Major hazard (from the decahydronaphthalene component) is aspiration into lungs, which may result in pulmonary edema or chemical pneumonia.
Inhalation of vapor or mist is irritating to the respiratory tract. May produce headache, nausea, vomiting. High concentrations can produce central nervous system depression. The predominant reaction of overexposure from the naphthalene component is delayed intravascular hemolysis with symptoms of anemia, fever, jaundice and kidney or liver damage.
Causes skin irritation with discomfort, rash. Sensitized individuals (from naphthalene exposure) may suffer a severe dermatitis.
Vapor causes irritation, redness and pain. The naphthalene component, at very high concentrations, can damage the nerves of the eye.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Possible aspiration hazard. Get medical aid if irritation or symptoms occur.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.