White to off-white crystals.
Component in trichlorobenzene mixt as dye solvent, degreasing solvent, dielectric fluid, & as lubricant additive.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 22 51/53
S 36/37 60 61
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
5 (9 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.4604 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
8.93 cp (64 C)
1.5662 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, acids.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
This chemical is combustible.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. May cause liver and kidney damage. Chronic exposure can affect thyroid function.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver and kidney damage. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Causes skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.