Clear, colorless liquid with distinctive aromatic odor.
Dyestuff intermediate, solvent, paintermediate thinner.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Flammable; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
R 10 37 51/53
Mutagen; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2.3 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
l.0% at 20 C; 0.24% at 20 C (calculated)
0.8637 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
6.92 cp (20 C)
28.83 g/s2 at 20 C
1.49541 (20 C)
2.2 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Will burn if involved in a fire. Can release vapors that form explosive mixtures at temperatures above the flashpoint. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV: 25 ppm; 125 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1993-1994). NIOSH REL: TWA 25 ppm (125 mg/m3)
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause irritation. Chronic inhalation may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause anemia. May cause drowsiness, unconsciousness, and central nervous system depression. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. May cause asthma-like symptoms and sleepiness.
May cause skin irritation. Excessive drying of the skin may result form repeated or prolonged contact.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.