Tan, crystalline powder.
Used in the study of liver enzymes and the carcinogenicity and mutagenicity of aromatic amines as a positive control.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
190 - 193
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
9E-9 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. If sweeping is necessary, use a dust suppressant agent. Avoid generating dusty conditions.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acids; acid anhydrides; oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen fluoride, nitrogen.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam.
This material is probably combustible.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL: Ca See Appendix A OSHA PEL: [1910.1014] See Appendix B
O, N-2, CP65
Chronic ingestion may cause liver damage. May cause cancer in humans.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver damage.
Harmful if inhaled. May cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code
2924 29 95