Colorless crystalline solid, characteristic, unpleasant odor, white leaflets or large colorless crystals, white powder or crystals.
Intermediate in chemical synthesis.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 21 23/25 33 36/37/38
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
50 - 52
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.2 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1053 ppm (0.10%) (calculated)
Solubility in water
1.56552 (65 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Poison room locked.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, strong acids, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Dusts at sufficient concentrations can form explosive mixtures with air. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Combustible solid. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
This chemical is combustible.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide) may be released in a fire involving 2-aminopyridine.
TLV: 0.5 ppm; 1.9 mg/m3 (as TWA) (ACGIH 1993-1994). OSHA PEL: TWA 0.5 ppm (2 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 0.5 ppm (2 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 5 ppm
Weakness, dizziness, disorientation, hyperexcitibility, tremors, periorbital paresthesias and tonic-clonic seizures may be noted.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. Poison by ingestion. May cause effects similar to those for inhalation exposure. An oral dose of 590 mg/kg of 4-aminopyridine in a man produced shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, hallucinations and distorted perception. Affects the CNS to produce tremor, excitability and convulsions.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause severe headaches, nausea, increased blood pressure, weakness, convulsions, and a stuporous state.
Causes skin irritation. May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. Substance is rapidly absorbed through the skin. Causes symptoms similar to those of inhalation. Causes redness and pain.
Causes eye irritation. Causes redness and pain.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.