- 2-Chlorophenyl methyl ketone
- Methyl 2-chlorophenyl ketone
Clear amber liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 22 36/38
S 26 36/37/39
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.2016 g/cm3 (17 C)
Solubility in water
1.5445 (16.6 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Cover with sand, dry lime or soda ash and place in a closed container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong bases.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, chloride fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Combustible Liquid. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. This material is lighter than water and insoluble in water. The fire could easily be spread by the use of water in an area where the water cannot be contained.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation.
May cause irritation and dermatitis. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Causes eye irritation. Lachrymator. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
2914 70 90