- Benzenemethanamine, 2-chloro
A colorless liquid with a slight amine odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 26 36/37/39 45
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
1.56 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Corrosives area. Do not expose to air. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Place under an inert atmosphere.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Air sensitive
Air, acids, acid anhydrides, acid chlorides, carbon dioxide, oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Combustible Liquid. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Contact with water forms corrosive vapors. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death. Effects may be delayed.
Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May cause cardiac disturbances. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, and death. May cause central nervous system depression. May cause systemic effects.
May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. May cause liver and kidney damage. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause cardiac abnormalities. May cause systemic effects. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation.
Causes skin burns. May cause cyanosis of the extremities. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting and seek IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ADVICE.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
I; II; III
2921 49 80
Std. Transport #