- 2-Chloroethanesulfonyl chloride
- 2-Chloroethanesulfonic acid chloride
- 2-Chloro-1-ethanesulfonyl chloride
White to light yellow, odorless solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
very toxic, corrosive
R 22 26 34
S 23 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.4 (25 C)
1.555 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.4923 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear butyl rubber gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear butyl rubber gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing materials, chlorine, sulfur.
Oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, chloride fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
No data were available to assess the possible reproductive hazard of this agent.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract and possible burns.
May be fatal if inhaled. Harmful if inhaled. May cause severe respiratory tract irritation and possible burns.
May cause severe skin irritation and burns.
Lachrymator. May cause eye irritation and possible damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2904 90 20