Colorless liquid with a musky, ammonia odor.
Used to make pharmaceuticals and other chemicals.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
flammable, toxic, corrosive
R 10 21/22 23 34
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1.4 g/m3 (20 C)
0.7882 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
<0.1 g/100 mL
1.4315 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from strong acids. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Cover with a 90:10 mixture of sand/soda ash. Place in a container. Flush area with water.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, alcohols, aluminum, copper, vinyl acetate, zinc, tin, aldehydes (e.g. acetaldehyde, acrolein, chloral hydrate, formaldehyde), isocyanates (e.g. methyl isocyanate), ketones (e.g. acetone, acetophenone, MEK, MIBK), lead, organic anhydrides.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or alcohol-resistant foam. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately.
Flammable/combustible material. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Carbon monoxide and/or carbon dioxide and toxic oxides of nitogen may be produced.
May cause liver and kidney damage. Prolonged exposure may cause systemic effects.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause burns to the gastrointestinal tract.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Causes severe skin irritation and possible burns.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).