- Thiophene, 2-methyl-
Clear, colorless liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 11 20
S 16 23 36/37
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1.0231 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
0.70 cp (20 C)
1.5203 (20 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Flammables-area.
Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Take precautionary measures against static discharges. Do not breathe dust or fumes.
Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing materials, strong bases.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled. May cause nausea, dizziness, and headache.
Causes mild skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Causes mild eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
2934 99 90