2-Picolyl chloride hydrochloride
- 2-(Chloromethyl)pyridine hydrochloride
- 2-Pyridylmethyl chloride hydrochloride
- 2-Chloromethylpyridine hydrochloride salt; 2
Off-white chunky solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 22 34 43
S 26 28 36/37/39 45
Melting point, °C
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear safety glasses and chemical goggles if splashing is possible. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Rubber and plastic gloves should not be relied upon to prevent skin contact. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin. Rubber and plastic gloves should not be relied upon to prevent skin contact.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Cover with sand, dry lime or soda ash and place in a closed container for disposal. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, chloride fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
This material is probably combustible.
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
May cause burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting. Causes irritation of the mucous membrane and upper respiratory tract.
Causes skin irritation. Substance is readily absorbed through the skin.
Causes eye irritation. May cause conjunctivitis and corneal inflammation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.