- Dowicide 6
- Phenol, 2,3,4,6-tetrachloro
Brown flakes or beige solid. Strong odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
R 25 36/38 50/53
S 26 28 37 45 60 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.00495 (25 C)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.6 mg/L
1.839 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
Should a spill occur while you are handling this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION, then you should dampen the solid spill material with 60-70% ethanol and transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with 60-70% ethanol to pick up any remaining material. Seal the absorbent paper, and any of your clothes, which may be contaminated, in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with 60-70% ethanol followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Reacts as a weak organic acid and is
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Abnormally low blood pressure, reduced body temperature, rapid breathing, and rapid heart rate may develop with severe toxicity. Initial CNS excitation, including seizures, is commonly followed by CNS depression ranging from lethargy to coma and death. Fetotoxicity and skeletal abnormalities have been reported in animal experiments.
Phenol is extremely corrosive and may cause oral and esophageal burns and abdominal pain following ingestion.
Tachypnea is commonly reported; pulmonary edema and bronchospasm may also occur. Stridor has been reported from exposure to high concentrations of phenol. Respiratory arrest occurred 30 minutes post ingestion of 26.7 Grams of phenol in one case.
Phenol is corrosive to the skin, but because of anesthetic qualities, it will numb rather than causing a burning pain on contact. Skin becomes red and swollen, then white and opaque. Deep burns result that may become gangrenous.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Phenols are very toxic poisons AND corrosive and irritating, so that inducing vomiting may make medical problems worse. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center and locate activated charcoal, egg whites, or milk in case the medical advisor recommends administering one of them. If advice from a physician is not readily available and the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give the victim a glass of activated charcoal slurry in water or, if this is not available, a glass of milk, or beaten egg whites and IMMEDIATELY transport victim to a hospital. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, assure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.
USCG CHRIS Code