2,4-D, isobutyl ester
- Isobutyl 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetate
- 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid isobutyl ester
- cetic acid, (2,4-dichlorophenoxy)-, 2-methylpropyl ester
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
133 - 134 (1 torr)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store at ambient temperatures with open venting.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate clothing to prevent any reasonable probability of skin contact. Wear eye protection to prevent any possibility of eye contact.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with plastic sheet to prevent spreading. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products.
Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide or water spray. Large Fires: Water spray, fog or regular foam.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
Containers may explode when heated.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Low dose exposures - vertigo, headache, malaise, and paresthesias may occur depending on the specific compound involved. High dose exposures - muscle twitching, spasms, profound weakness, polyneuritis, and unconsciousness may occur depending on the specific compound involved. Idiosyncratic reactions - peripheral neuropathies 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T have caused adverse reproductive effects in experimental animals. Allegations of human birth defects due to these compounds have not been confirmed.
Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea have been reported. Necrosis of the gastrointestinal mucosa has been reported.
Ingestion of large amounts may cause bradypnea, respiratory failure, hyperventilation, or pulmonary edema.
Direct contact may cause skin irritation.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing and jewelry. Wash the skin, including hair and nails, vigorously; do repeated soap washings. Discard contaminated clothing. Treat dermal irritation or burns with standard topical therapy. Patients developing dermal hypersensitivity reactions may require treatment with systemic or topical corticosteroids or antihistamines.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.