- 2,4-Dichloro-1-phenyl isocyanate
White to yellow crystalline solid probably with an irritating odor, lachrymator.
Monoisocyanates are used as chemical intermediates in the production of drugs, pesticides, amines, ureas and other carbamoyl compounds.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
very toxic, irritant, sensitizing
R 23/25 36/37/38 42
S 22 26 36/37/39 45
Melting point, °C
59 - 61
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.05 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from moisture.
Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not allow contact with water. Wash clothing before reuse. Discard contaminated shoes. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Moisture, strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, hydrogen cyanide, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrocarbons.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause liver and kidney damage. Effects may be delayed. May cause lung damage. Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Inhalation of product may aggravate existing chronic repiratory problems such as asthma, emphysema or bronchitis.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver and kidney damage.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. Exposure produces central nervous system depression. At high concentrations, isocyanates affect mucous membranes of the respiratory tract and may lead to fatal pulmonary edema. Exposure to low and often even unmeasurable isocyanate concentration results in sensitization. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema. In rare instances, exposure may cause sensitization, resulting in inflammation of the mucous membranes and in eczematous eruptions.
Causes skin irritation. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
Causes eye irritation. May cause conjunctivitis, ulceration and turbidity of the cornea.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
2929 10 90