- 1,3-Dichloro-2-methyl benzene
Clear, colorless liquid.
Chemical intermediate for dyes, high boiling solvent.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 24/25 61
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.2686 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
2.4 mg/100 ml
1.5508 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Make no contact with the spilled material. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and ground all equipment. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. Use clean non-sparking tools to collect absorbed material.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Incompatible with strong oxidizing and reducing agents Incompatible with many amines, nitrides, azo/diazo compounds, alkali metals, and epoxides.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
If material on fire or involved in fire: Do not extinguish fire unless flow can be stopped or safely confined. Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Solid streams of water may spread fire. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are possible if ingested.
Cough, tachypnea, and wheezing are common after inhalation.
Redness, swelling and pain may occur.
Emesis is not indicated due to the irritant nature of these agents. Charcoal - not recommended; it may promote vomiting and make endoscopic evaluation difficult. Dilution: immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 4 ounces/120 ml in a child). Neutralization - neutralization is not indicated. Although these agents are irritants, and therefore should not produce tissue damage, it is almost impossible to assure that a particular substance under a particular set of circumstances would not cause damage. Therefore, each patient should be examined with the idea that mucous membrane damage might have occurred.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. Wash skin with soap and water.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility. If in a medical facility, sterile saline should be used to irrigate the eyes until the cul de sac is returned to neutrality. Some alkali exposures may require prolonged irrigation.