Colorless to off-white crystalline solid with a sweet tarry odor.
Intermediate for the manufacture of polyphenylene oxide and modified phenolic resins and phosphate esters used in the production of hydraulic fluids, in halogenation and aminolysis reactions.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
R 24/25 34 51/53
S 26 36/37/39 45 61
Tumorigen; Drug; Primary Irritant
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
41 - 42
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.22 (25 C)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.0002 mg/m3
1.13 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.5148 (65 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Bases - acid chlorides - acid anhydrides - oxidizing agents - corrodes steel - brass - copper - copper alloys.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Dust can be an explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame. Containers may explode when heated. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
This chemical is combustible.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute ingestion. May cause kidney damage.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause kidney damage. A case of fatal xylenol ingestion by a long stay mental hospital patient is described. Clinical course was similar to that observed in other phenolic poisonings with active bowel sounds, nausea, and vomiting. Severe metabolic acidosis, hypotension, and cardiac and renal failure.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Causes skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. May cause skin burns.
Causes eye irritation. May cause eye burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.