- Propane, 1-chloro-3-isocyanato-
- Isocyanic acid, 3-chloropropyl ester
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 23/25 36/37/38 42
S 23 26 36/37/39 45
Boiling point, °C
152 - 154
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
1.45 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Moisture, strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Combustible Liquid. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. Do NOT get water inside containers. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic overexposure to isocyanates has been reported to cause lung damage, including decreased lung fuction, which may be permanent.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. At high concentrations, isocyanates affect mucous membranes of the respiratory tract and may lead to fatal pulmonary edema. Exposure to low and often even unmeasurable isocyanate concentration results in sensitization. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation.
Organic isocyanates can cause local irritation and allergic reactions. May cause irritation and dermatitis. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
May cause eye irritation. Lachrymator. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.