Colorless liquid with an unpleasant odor.
Solvent, intermediate in dye and resins industries, in manufacture of insecticides, waterproofing agents, niacin and niacinamide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
flammable, harmful, irritant
R 10 20/21/22 36/37/38
S 26 36/37/39
Tumorigen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
141 - 143
Vapor pressure, mmHg
4.5 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.957 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.972 cp (25 C)
36.7 g/s2 (25 C)
1.5043 (20 C)
10.7 (22 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, hydrogen peroxide, iron (III) sulfate, sulfuric acid
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, nitrogen.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or regular foam.
This chemical is flammable.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
PDK (as mixture of isomers): 5 mg/m3 (USSR 1991).
No data were available to assess the potential effects of exposure to this agent during pregnancy or lactation. <br>Animal studies on chick for substituted pyridines have shown teratogenicity. Injected chicken eggs develop leg and skeletal malformations.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. Intoxication may include weight loss, diarrhea, weakness, ataxia, and unconsciousness.
Causes irritation of mucous membrane. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Exposure may give rise to flushing of face, skin rash, an increase in heart and respiration rates, headaches, giddiness, nausea, and vomiting.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.