- 3,3-Dimethylbutyryl chloride
- tert-Butylacetyl chloride
- 3,3-Dimethylbutyric acid chloride
- 3,3-Dimethylbutanoyl chloride
Clear, colorless liquid. With a stench.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 10 34
S 16 26 36/37/39 45
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
9 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.9872 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
1.4210 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Flammables-area. Refrigerator/flammables. Store protected from moisture.
Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Cover with sand, dry lime or soda ash and place in a closed container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May decompose on exposure to moist air or water.
Moisture, water, alcohols, strong bases, strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Water hydrolyzes material liberating acidic gas which in contact with metal surfaces can generate flammable and/or explosive hydrogen gas. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
Flammable/combustible material. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. Ingestion of large amounts may cause CNS depression. May cause systemic effects.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. May cause systemic effects. May cause burning sensation in the chest.
Causes skin burns. May cause cyanosis of the extremities. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. Lachrymator. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).