A colorless liquid.
Used to make soaps, dyes, and pharmaceuticals.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Very toxic; Toxic; Harmful; Corrosive; Sensitising
R 22 24 26 35 43
S 26 28 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.9307 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.4818 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, strong acids, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, chloroformates.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. Do NOT get water inside containers. Contact with water or steam may produce toxic and flammable vapors.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).