- Phenol, 3,4-dichloro-
Needles (from benzene, petroleum ether) or light brown and yellow crystals.
Chemical intermediate for 2-chloro-1,4-dihydroxyanthraquinone & 2,3,4-trichlorophenol.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 21/22 36/37/38
S 24 26 36/37/39
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
66 - 68
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.017 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 100 ug/L in water
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
This material is probably combustible.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged exposure can cause damage to the eyes, severe irritation or burns.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause burning sensations, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath and headache.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. Exposure produces central nervous system depression. May be harmful if inhaled. May cause liver damage.
Causes skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Causes eye irritation.
Get medical aid. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
2908 10 00