Yellow needles from carbon disulfide. Slight odor.
Organic synthesis, toluidines, dyes, explosives. Dinitrotoluene.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 2; Mutagenic Category 3; Toxic for reproduction Category 3; Toxic; Harmful; Dangerous for the Environment
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
9E-5 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.2594 g/cm3 (111 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Unspecified dinitrotoluene solid--separate from strong oxidizers and from reducing agents, protect from damage to container.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate clothing to prevent any possibility or probability of skin contact with molten liquids or repeated or prolonged contact with solutions. Wear eye protection to prevent any possibility of eye contact with molten material. Dispensers of liquid detergent should be available. In the laboratory, gloves and protective clothing should always be worn but should not be assumed to provide full protection.
Any self contained breathing apparatus with a full facepiece and operated in a pressure demand or other positive pressure mode or any supplied air respirator with a full facepiece and operated in a pressure demand or other positive pressure mode in combination with an auxiliary self contained breathing apparatus operated in pressure demand or other positive pressure mode.
Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with plastic sheet to prevent spreading. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Dinitrotoluenes may explode if confined while burning. Dinitrotoluene can be detonated only by a very strong initiator. It may be an explosion hazard when involved in a fire. Moderate explosion hazard. May explode from heat or contamination if confined.
Avoid contact with strong oxidizers, caustics, metals such as tin and zinc
When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of nitrogen oxides.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Fire Extinguishing Agents: Water, CO 2 , dry chemical
Dinitrotoluenes may burn but do not ignite readily. Combustible: moderate fire hazard.
Containers may explode when heated.
Emits toxic fumes of oxides of nitrogen.
TLV: ppm; 0.15 mg/m3 (as TWA) (skin) (ACGIH 1996).
Respiratory depression secondary to hypoxia may occur. CNS depression is secondary to hypoxia from methemoglobinemia. DNT was NOT teratogenic in rats, and had no effects in a 3- generation study in rats. Testicular effects have been seen in laboratory animals, but not in exposed workers.
Nausea and vomiting may be secondary to methemoglobinemia.
Acute effects - blue lips, fingernails and skin. Headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion, convulsions and unconsciousness. Irritates the eyes and skin. May cause effects on the central nervous and cardiovascular system and the blood, resulting in methemoglobin. Effects may be delayed.<BR>Chronic effects - May cause effects on the central nervous and cardiovascular system and the blood, resulting in methemoglobin.
Redness. See inhalation. May be absorbed through the skin.
Headache can occur. Redness.
Do not induce vomiting - following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child).
Remove from exposure. If cyanotic, oxygen can be administered.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists. Administer oxygen to all cyanotic patients.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility. Treatment should include recommendations listed in the oral exposure section when appropriate.