Dark brown liquid.
Used as a chemical intermediate for the synthesis of pigment red 149.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 23/24/25 33 51/53
S 28 36/37 45 61
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.0240 mg/m3
0.9706 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
36.38 g/s2 (25 C)
1.5581 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, acids, acid chlorides, halogens, acid anhydrides, hypochlorite, chloroformates.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustible Liquid. To extinguish fire, use water fog, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or regular foam. Do NOT get water inside containers.
This chemical is combustible.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed.
Harmful if swallowed. Ingestion of nitrate containing compounds can lead to methemoglobinemia. May cause irritation of the digestive tract and possible burns.
May cause severe respiratory tract irritation and possible burns.
May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns, especially if skin is wet or moist.
May cause eye irritation and possible burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.