- 2,4-D butyric acid
- 4-(2,4-Dichlorophenoxy)butanoic acid
- (2,4-Dichlorophenoxy)butyric acid
Control of broad-leafed plants in row crops, defoliants, general brush control. Chlorophenoxy compounds, from table.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Harmful; Dangerous for the Environment
R 22 51/53
S 25 29 46 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
150 (0.2 torr)
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Solubility in water
46 ppm at 25 C
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with plastic sheet to prevent spreading. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide or water spray. Large Fires: Water spray, fog or regular foam.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
Containers may explode when heated.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may be noted following ingestion.
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Cyanosis unresponsive to oxygen therapy may be noted in patients with methemoglobinemia due to absorption of excessive amounts of these agents.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.