- m-Fluorophenyl isocyanate
- Isocyanic acid, m-fluorophenyl ester
- Benzene, 1-fluoro-3-isocyanato-
Clear, colorless liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 10 23/25 36/37/38 42
S 23 26 36/37/39 45
Boiling point, °C
42 - 45 (1 torr)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
1.51 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Refrigerator/flammables. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Use a spark-proof tool. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Moisture sensitive.
Water, strong oxidizing agents, strong bases, alcohols, amines, heat, moisture.
Hydrogen cyanide, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen fluoride, nitrogen.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Use carbon dioxide or dry chemical. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Repeated exposure may cause allergic respiratory reaction (asthma). Chronic exposure may cause burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, nausea, headache and vomiting.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Ingestion of large amounts may cause CNS depression.
The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation. May cause burning sensation in the chest. May cause respiratory sensitization.
May cause skin irritation. May cause cyanosis of the extremities. May cause sensitization by skin contact.
May cause eye irritation. Lachrymator. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.