- Hydroxyquinone, monomethyl ether
White to off-white waxy solid or flaky, crystalline material. Odor of caramel and phenol.
Manufacture of antioxidants, pharmaceuticals, plasticizers, dyestuffs, uv inhibitor, stabilizer for chlorinated hydrocarbons & ethyl cellulose, inhibitor for acrylic monomers & acrylonitriles.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Harmful; Irritant; Sensitising
R 22 36 43
S 24/25 26 37/39 46
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
55 - 57
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.02 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
<13 ppm at 25 C (calculated)
1.55 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
4.58 cp (72 C)
29.9 g/s2 (184 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acid anhydrides, acid chlorides, bases, oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. To extinguish fire, use water fog, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or regular foam.
NIOSH REL: TWA 5 mg/m3
Chronic exposure may cause visual disturbances. Prolonged contact may cause severe eye irritation or burns.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Causes skin irritation. May cause depigmentation of the skin.
Causes eye irritation. May cause eye burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.