- p-Toluoyl chloride
- 4-Toluoyl chloride
- p-Toluic acid chloride
- p-Toluyl chloride
- 4-Methylbenzoic acid chloride
Colorless to light yellow liquid. Pungent odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 26 36/37/39 45
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.75 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
1.5524 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water on spilled substances or inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Water - alcohols - oxidizing agents - strong bases.
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Combustible Liquid. Containers may explode when heated. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water. Reacts with water to form acidic gases which when in contact with metal may liberate flammable and/or hydrogen gas. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Do NOT get water inside containers.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Causes respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. Causes severe burns. Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause severe exacerbation.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
2916 39 00