Colorless moderately volatile liquid.
Manufacture of isonicotinic acid and derivatives, in water-proofing agents for fabrics, as solvent for resins.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Flammable; Toxic; Harmful; Irritant
R 10 20/22 24 36/37/38
S 26 36 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
6.5 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.9547 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.94 cp (20 C)
1.5064 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Hygroscopic: absorbs moisture or water from the air.
Moisture, water, oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, nitrogen.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or regular foam.
Moderate fire risk
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
PDK (as mixture of isomers): 5 mg/m3 (USSR 1991).
May cause liver and kidney damage. Effects may be delayed.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. Ingestion of large amounts may cause CNS depression. Intoxication may include weight loss, diarrhea, weakness, ataxia, and unconsciousness.
Causes irritation of mucous membrane. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Exposure may give rise to flushing of face, skin rash, an increase in heart and respiration rates, headaches, giddiness, nausea, and vomiting. May cause burning sensation in the chest.
Causes skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. May cause reddening of the skin. May cause skin rash and eruptions. Substance is readily absorbed through the slkin. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Causes eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.