- p-Nitrobenzyl chloroformate
- p-Nitrocarbobenzoxy chloride
- 4-Nitrobenzyloxycarbonyl chloride
- p-Nitrobenzyloxycarbonyl chloride
- Formic acid, chloro-, p-nitrobenzyl ester
- Carbonochloridic acid, (4-nitrophenyl)methyl ester
Pale yellow solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 23/24/25 34
S 26 36/37/39 45
Melting point, °C
33.3 - 33.8
Boiling point, °C
230 (10 torr)
Solubility in water
1.55 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Refrigerator (approx 4 C). Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Contents may develop pressure upon prolonged storage. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Prevent build up of vapors to explosive concentration. Keep from contact with moist air and steam. Do not breathe dust or fumes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable at normal temperatures in tightly closed containers under an inert atmosphere. May decompose on exposure to moist air or water.
Acids, strong bases, alcohols, amines, rust.
Hydrogen chloride, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: DO NOT USE WATER! In case of fire, use carbon dioxide, dry chemical powder or appropriate foam.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause systemic effects.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Inhalation may produce burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting.
Causes skin burns. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin. The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.
Causes eye burns.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).