Grayish-white microcrystalline powder or yellow fluffy solid.
As a component of bergamot oil, 5-methoxypsoralen is present in some perfumes and fragrances, sunscreen preparations and food products.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Natural Product
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
5E-7 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge, i.e. organic vapor/acid gas/HEPA (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas, SO2 and a high efficiency particulate filter). Splash proof safety goggles should be worn while handling this chemical. Alternatively, a full face respirator, equipped as above, may be used to provide simultaneous eye and respiratory protection.
If a spill of this chemical occurs, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION, then you should dampen the solid spill material with acetone and transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with acetone to pick up any remaining material. Seal your contaminated clothing and the absorbent paper in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with acetone followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Sensitive to exposure to light Incompatible with strong oxidizers.
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
This material is probably combustible.
dizziness, depression, and headache have been reported with use, as have nervousness and insomnia. Seizures have been reported in animal studies.
Nausea and abdominal pain have occurred.
Symptoms of exposure to this compound include erythema, marked pigmentation, dermatitis, patchy hyperpigmentation of the face and neck, and keratomas or epitheliomas of the skin. Corrosion may occur. It may also cause phototoxic reactions of the skin. Symptoms of exposure to a related compound include extreme destruction of tissue of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract, eyes and skin, photosensitization, burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis and shortness of breath. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation and edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema.
Erythema and bizarre pigmentation have been seen. Superficial and deep second-degree burns to the skin have been reported following puva therapy. At therapeutic doses, 8-mop will cause more dermal reactions than 5-mop.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Corrosive chemicals will destroy the membranes of the mouth, throat, and esophagus and, in addition, have a high risk of being aspirated into the victim's lungs during vomiting which increases the medical problems. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, ensure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Transport the victim IMMEDIATELY to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.