After melting, clear slightly yellow solid. With a stench.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
30 - 31
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.02 (25 C)
Solubility in water
1.6042 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Keep under a nitrogen blanket. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Refrigerator (approx 4 C). Store protected from light.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation. Store protected from light. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. May discolor on exposure to light.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, direct light.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May cause headache.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.