- Acrylic acid amide
White, odorless, crystalline solid.
Used for sewage and waste treatment, to make dyes, adhesives.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 2; Mutagenic Category 2; Toxic for reproduction Category 3; Toxic; Harmful; Irritant; Sensitising
R 45 46 20/21 36/38 43 48/23/24/25 62
S 53 45
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.007 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Approximately 9 ppm at 25 C (calculated)
1.122 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store in direct sunlight. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from acids. Do not store near alkaline substances. Keep away from polymerization catalysts.
D1B D2A D2B
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Use with adequate ventilation.
Skin: Rubber or neoprene gloves and additional protection including impervious boots, apron, or coveralls, as needed in areas of unusual exposure. Eyes: Use chemical safety goggles and/or full face shield where dusting or splashing of solutions is possible. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
May polymerize explosively. Thermally unstable. Polymerization may be caused by exposure to heat, U.V. light, oxidizers, or peroxides. May be stabilized with hydroquinone, t-butylpyrocatechol, N-phenyl-2-naphthylamine, or other antioxidants.
Acids, oxidizing agents, and bases. Spontaneously reacts with hydroxyl-, amino-, and sulfhydryl- containing compounds.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen gas, ammonia.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Fight fire from maximum distance. Dike fire control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material.For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or foam. For large fires use water spray, fog or foam. Move container from fire area if you can do so without risk.
May polymerize on melting.
Pure acrylamide will decompose at 347-572F giving ammonia, hydrogen and carbon monoxide. Avoid strong oxidizers. Avoid heat, ultraviolet light. Hazardous polymerization may occur. It readily polymerizes when heated to the melting point or when exposed to ultraviolet light. It is known to polymerize with violence when heated.
Toxic oxides of nitrogen are produced during combustion.
OSHA PEL: TWA 0.3 mg/m3 skin NIOSH REL: Ca TWA 0.03 mg/m3 skin See Appendix A NIOSH IDLH: Potential occupational carcinogen 60 mg/m3
G-A3, I-2A, N-2, CP65
rolonged or repeated exposure through any route may cause muscular weakness, incoordination, skin rashes, excessive sweating of hands and feet, cold hands, peeling of the skin, numbness, abnormal skin or muscle sensations, fatigue, and cause central and peripheral nervous system damage. Suspect cancer hazard. May cause cancer. May affect the reproductive system and act as a teratogen.
Harmful if swallowed. Can cause nervous system damage. May cause central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous system effects. Central nervous system effects, which appear to predominate in acute cases, are characterized by abnormal fatigue, memory difficulties, and dizziness. Peripheral neuropathy symptoms, which are more common with repeated low-dose exposure or following a latency period of up to several weeks after acute exposure can include: muscular weakness, paresthesia, numbness in hands, feet, lower legs, and lower arms, unsteadiness, and difficulties in walking and standing. Autonomic nervous system involvement is indicated by excessive sweating, peripheral vasodilation and difficulties in micturation and defecation.
May cause drowsiness, tingling sensations, fatigue, weakness, stumbling, slurred speech, and shaking. May cause central and peripheral nervous system damage. Severe intoxications may cause permanent nerve damage. Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. May affect reproductive system and act as a teratogen.
May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. If absorbed, causes symptoms similar to those of ingestion.
May cause eye irritation and possible burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.