- Tetramethyl cyanide
Water-white, oily liquid. Practically odorless.
Intermediate in the manufacture of nylon, organic synthesis.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 23/25 27
S 28 36/37 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0015 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
3 ppm (20 C) (calculated)
0.965 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
4.905 g/s2 (30 C)
1.4363 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from acids.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation. Wash clothing before reuse. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, nitrogen.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray.
Combustible Liquid. Moderate when exposed to heat or flame.
Combustion products may contain hydrocyanic acid (HCN). Vapor may explode if ignited in an enclosed area. When heated to decomposition, it emits highly toxic fumes. Avoid oxidizing material. Hazardous polymerization may not occur.
Products of combustion may be more hazardous than the material itself. By-products include hydrogen cyanide and irritants.
TLV: 2 ppm; 8.8 mg/m3 (as TWA) (skin) (ACGIH 1994-1995). NIOSH REL: TWA 4 ppm (18 mg/m3)
May cause cyanosis, acidosis, and quick, shallow breathing.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause cyanosis (bluish discoloration of skin due to deficient oxygenation of the blood), weakness, acidosis, and shock.
Harmful if inhaled. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause anoxia, characterized by weakness, headache, dizziness, confusion, cyanosis, weak and irregular heart beat, collapse, unconsciousness, convulsions, coma and death.
Causes skin irritation. Absorption into the body may cause cyanosis.
Causes eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.