Alkylbenzenesulfonic acid (greater than 4%)
Thick brown liquid with a sharp sulfur dioxide odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep containers tightly losed. Store in cool, dry, well-vented area.
Wear appropriate rubber protective gloves, lab coat and apron. Goggles or full face sheeld.
NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator with an acid gas cartridge.
ELIMINATE all ignition sources. Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide or water spray. Large Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam or water spray.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TOXIC; inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact with material may cause severe injury or death. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. See Inhalation.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.