Colorless to light yellow liquid, irritating, unpleasant, pungent odor, lachrymator.
Manufacture of other allyl compounds.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, toxic, corrosive, dangerous for the environment
R 11 23/25 34 50
S 16 26 36/37/39 45 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
153 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
15% at 20 C (calculated)
1.461 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
0.50 cp (20 C)
28.01 g/s2 (12 C)
1.46166 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions. Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizing agents and strong bases. Contact with aluminum chloride, boron trifluoride and sulfuric acid may cause exothermic polymerization. Reacts violently with oxidants (e.g., bromine difluoride, chromium (VI) oxide, potassium permanganate or sodium peroxide.)
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, hydrogen bromide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Material will burn in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. May be ignited by friction, heat, sparks, or flame. May polymerize explosively when involved in a fire. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. Water may be ineffective. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT use straight streams of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Flammable and combustible liquid.
Vapors are heavier than air and may travel to a source of ignition and flash back.
Toxic hydrogen bromide and bromine gases formed in fire.
May cause liver and kidney damage.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema.
May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns, especially if skin is wet or moist.
Causes severe eye irritation. May result in corneal injury.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.