Colorless or pale yellow liquid, unpleasant, pungent odor.
In the synthesis of allyl compound.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Very toxic; Dangerous for the Environment
R 11 26 50
S 16 29 33 45 61
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
367 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
44.7% at 20 C.
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.47 ppm.
0.9637 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
0.37 cp (10 C)
28.85 g/s2 (15 C)
1.41534 (15 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use. Flammables-area.
B2 D1B D2B
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Explosion hazard when exposed to acids or oxidizing agents, Explosive reaction with alkyl aluminum chlorides + aromatic hydrocarbons (e.g., benzene or toluene). Violently exothermic polymerization reaction with Lewis acids (e.g., aluminum chloride, boron trifluoride and sulfuric acid). Incompatible with ethylene imine, ethylenediamine, chlorosulfonic acid, oleum, sodium hydroxide and nitric acid.
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. May polymerize explosively when involved in a fire. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. Water may be ineffective. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT use straight streams of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water.
Very flammable. Combustion imminent.
Vapor is heavier than air (vapor-air density at 100 deg f, 2.2) and may travel considerable distance to source of ignition and flash back.
Releases irritating hydrogen chloride gas on combustion
OSHA PEL: TWA 1 ppm (3 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 1 ppm (3 mg/m3) ST 2 ppm (6 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 250 ppm
May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause cancer according to animal studies. May cause lung damage.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. May cause lung damage. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).