Allyl propyl disulfide
- 2-Propenyl propyl disulfide
- Propyl allyl disulfide
- Onion oil
Clear pale yellow liquid with a pungent odor.
Synthetic flavor, food additive.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
66 - 69 (16 torr)
0.93 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
< 1 mg/ml
1.5219 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate eye protection to prevent eye contact.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
If you spill this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION. Then, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Your contaminated clothing and absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with 60-70% ethanol followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
May react vigorously with strong oxidizing agents Incompatible with acids, diazo and azo compounds, halocarbons, isocyanates, aldehydes, alkali metals, nitrides, hydrides and other strong reducing agents Reactions with these materials generate heat and in many cases hydrogen gas.
When heated to decomposition, emits highly toxic fumes of sulfur oxides.
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
This chemical is combustible.
NIOSH REL: TWA 2 ppm (12 mg/m3) ST 3 ppm (18 mg/m3) OSHA PEL: TWA 2 ppm (12 mg/m3)
Agitation and syncope, both attributed to panic, have been reported.
A metallic taste with a burning sensation of the tongue is common. Nausea is common; vomiting occurs occasionally. Epigastric discomfort and burping may occur if tear gas is swallowed.
Cough, rhinorrhea, sneezing, chest tightness, and laryngospasm may occur shortly following exposure due to the irritant effects.
Irritation may occur to all body surfaces where significant exposure has occurred. Painful contact dermatitis may persist for several hours following exposure to mace containing capsaicin. Bullous dermatitis may develop 12 to three days after exposure to tear gas containing o-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile (cs). Erythema, vesicle eruptions, and denuded areas with weeping tender erythematous base may develop one day after exposure to mace containing 1-chloroacetophenone (cn).
If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. MMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.