Dihydrate, white or slightly yellowish granules or powder. Slight ammoniacal.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Drug; Mutagen; Human Data
Melting point, °C
269 to 270
Solubility in water
1 g/5 ml
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep containers tightly closed. Store in air tight containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from air. Use and store under nitrogen. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Do not breathe dust.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Absorbs carbon dioxide from the air. Unstable in acid solution.
Strong oxidizing agents, acids, air.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Rapid heart rate is common, abnormally low blood pressure occurs with severe overdose. Tremors are common. Restlessness, agitation, hallucinations and headache may occur. Seizures may be focal.
Harmful if swallowed. Ingestion of large amounts may cause systemic effects such as nausea, stomach pain, rapid breathing, sweating, convulsions, coma, cardiovascular collapse and possible death. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood. May cause wakefulness and restlessness, irritability, excitement, rapid heart rate, ringing in the ears, anorexia, muscle spasms and convulsions, gastrointestinal irritation, headache, dizziness, seizures, dehydration and fever.
May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
May cause irritation and dermatitis.
May cause eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.