Odorless white solid. Turns yellow-brown on exposure to light and air.
In photographic chemicals.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 26 36
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.003 (112 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed and protected from light.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Dust mask; goggles or face shield; rubber gloves.
Use NIOSH/MSA approved dust mask for ordinary use. SCBA for emergency use.
Wear full protective equipment. Cover with dry sand or vermiculite. Mix well and carefully transfer to a container for subsequent disposal.
Becomes yellow to brown on exposure to air and light except in presence of stabilizer, such as ammonium hypophosphite, aqueous solution will quickly become yellow.
Strong oxidizing agents.
When heated to decomposition, emits very toxic fumes of hydrogen iodide, ammonia and nitrogen oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Toxic and irritating fumes of hydrogen iodide, iodine, and oxides of nitrogen may form in fire. Behavior in Fire: Compound may sublime in fire and condense on cold surfaces.
Toxic and irritating fumes of hydrogen iodide, iodine, and oxides of nitrogen may form in fire.
Cretinism and goiter have been reported in children whose mothers were taking iodides.
Acute ingestion of iodide salts does not result in corrosive actions on the gastrointestinal tract. Vomiting and abdominal pain may be noted but are not as common as with acute iodine ingestion.
Inhalation causes irritation of nose and throat. Contact with eyes causes irritation.
Chronic oral administration can produce various skin reactions, including erythema nodosum, polymorphic eruptions, urticaria, vasculitis, and petechia.
A metallic taste, increased salivary and bronchial secretions may be noted.
If significant amount has been ingested, get medical attention.
Remove to fresh air.
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash exposed area with soap and water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Launder clothing before reuse.
Flush with water.
USCG CHRIS Code