Ammonium sulfide solution
- Diammonium sulfide
- Ammonium monosulfide
- True ammonium sulfide
Aqueous solutions of diammonium sulfide. Amounts range from 20 -52%. Clear, yellow liquid with a strong odor of ammonia and sulfide.
To apply patina to bronze, & in trace metal analysis.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 10 23/25 31 34 50
S 26 36/37/39 45 61
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Protect against physical damage. Outside or detached storage is preferred. Inside storage should be a standard flammable liquids storage room or cabinet.
B3 D1B E
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Make no contact with the spilled material. Fully encapsulating, vapor protective clothing should be worn for spills and leaks with no fire. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and ground all equipment. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. Use clean non-sparking tools to collect absorbed material.
Stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage. May lose integrity with age; ammonium sulfide slowly produces hydrogen sulfide and ammonia in the presence of moisture.
Contact with strong oxidizers may cause fire. Incompatible with alkalies, strong acids, copper, brass, bronze, strong bases, zinc and aluminum.
Emits toxic fumes of sulfur oxides, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen sulfide, ammonium bisulfite, and ammonia when heated to decomposition.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode. Use water in flooding quantities as fog; solid streams of water may be ineffective to knock down vapors. DO NOT USE CARBON DIOXIDE AS FLAMMABLE, TOXIC HYDROGEN SULFIDE GAS CAN BE GENERATED. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Alcohol foam or dry chemical may be used.
Moderate when exposed to flame.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic exposure may cause damage to exposed tissues.
May be corrosive to the gastrointestinal tract through liberation of hydrogen sulfide. Can cause nausea, vomiting, headache, cyanosis, respiratory depression, blood pressure fall, unconsciousness, tremors, convulsions, and death.
Inhalation of vapors causes irritation to the respiratory tract; symptoms may include coughing and shortness of breath. Concentrations of hydrogen sulfide above 50 ppm may cause headache, insomnia, nausea, sore throat, dizziness, drowsiness, and pulmonary edema. Above 600 ppm for 30 minutes can cause death.
Severe skin irritation and/or burns may occur.
If swallowed, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Give large quantities of water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical attention immediately.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. Wash skin with soap and water.
In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.