- Pentyl chloride
Clear colorless to pale yellow liquids.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Harmful
R 11 20/21/22
S 9 29
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
32 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.882 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.0058 cp (20 C)
25.15 g/s2 (20 C)
1.4128 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, chlorine, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, phosgene gas.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
Dangerous, when exposed to heat or flame.
Flashback along vapor trail may occur.
Irritating hydrogen chloride and toxic phosgene may be formed in fires.
Mild central nervous system depression or excitation may occur after ingestion or vapor inhalation. CNS effects can occur secondary to hydrocarbon pneumonitis and hypoxia, or from additives and contaminants (aniline, heavy metals, camphor, or pesticides). Some hydrocarbons are simple asphyxiants (e.G., Methane, ethane, propane gasses) which can produce CNS effects secondary to hypoxia. In a prospective study in Toronto, major congenital malformations were noted in 13 of 125 fetuses of mothers exposed to organic solvents during pregnancy.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract.
Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Vapor or mist is irritating to the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.