- Pentyl trichlorosilane
A colorless to yellow liquid with a pungent odor.
Intermediate for silicones.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Organometallic; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
166 - 169
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2.1 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.132 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.4385 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
All containers, pipes, apparatus, installations and structures used for mfr, storage, transport or use of these substances must be of material resistant to corrosive substances or be protected by suitable coatings. All containers or receptacles should be clearly labelled to indicate their contents and should bear danger symbol for corrosives.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary. Use water spray to knock-down vapors. Do not use water on material itself. Neutralize spilled material with crushed limestone, soda ash, or lime. Land spill: Dig a pit, pond, lagoon, holding area to contain liquid or solid material. Dike surface flow using soil, sand bags, foamed polyurethane, or foamed concrete. Absorb bulk liquid with fly ash, cement powder, or commercial sorbents. Water spill: Use natural barriers or oil spill control booms to limit spill travel. Remove trapped material with suction hoses.
Readily hydrolyzed by moisture with liberation of hydrogen chloride.
Reacts vigorously with water to generate toxic hydrogen chloride gas (hydrochloric acid). With a little ammonia, it forms a self-igniting product. Chlorosilanes extreme caution is necessary when handling silane in systems with halogenated compounds, as a trace of free halogen may cause violent explosion.
When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of hydrogen chloride.
Use dry chemical, dry sand, or carbon dioxide. Do not use water on material itself. If large quantities of combustibles are involved, use water in flooding quantities as spray and fog. Use water spray to knock-down vapors. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible.
Certain strong corrosives may, on contact with organic matter or other chemicals, cause fire. Corrosive substances self-ignites in air. With a little ammonia, it forms a self-igniting product.
Vapors form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff.
Irritating hydrogen chloride and toxic phosgene may be formed.
Gastrointestinal tissue corrosion was observed in animals given single oral doses and may occur in humans following ingestion.
Three cases of permanently disabling reactive airway syndrome have been reported in adults exposed for several hours to fumes of sodium hydroxide, trichlorosilane, and silicon tetrachloride.
The application of chlorosilanes to shaved rabbit skin produced various degrees of irritation. Complete denaturation and tissue sloughing occurred within one minute after exposure to dichlorodimethylsilane, within two to three minutes after exposure to methyltrichlorosilane, ethyltrichlorosilane, and dichlorodiethylsilane, and within 10 minutes after exposure to tetrachlorosilane.
Severe ocular irritation may occur. Rats exposed to vapors developed nasal discharge, tearing,salivation, and pulmonary irritation.
Dilution: immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 4 ounces/120 ml in a child). Do not induce vomiting.
Remove from exposure; support respiration.
Flush with water.
Flush with water for 15 min.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #